Dushkin, Aleksei Nikolaevich
Born Dec. 11 (24), 1903, in the village of Aleksandrovka, in present-day Kharkov Oblast. Soviet architect. CPSU member since 1952.
Dushkin graduated from the department of architecture of the Kharkov Building Institute (1930), where he studied with A. N. Beketov. Beginning in 1934 he participated in the de-signing and construction of a number of Moscow subway stations: the Kropotkin (1933-35; State Prize of the USSR, 1941), the Mayakovsky (1938-39), and the Avtozavodskaia (1940-43; State Prize of the USSR, 1946). He directed the planning of railroad stations in Sochi (1948-52), Simferopol (1950), and Dnepropetrovsk (1947-50). He built a high-rise building on Lermontov Square (1947-53; in cooperation with the architect B. S. Mezentsev; State Prize of the USSR, 1949) and the Children’s World department store (1953-56) in Moscow. He has been teaching at the Moscow Architectural Institute since 1947, becoming a professor in 1966. He has been awarded the Order of Lenin and two other orders, as well as medals.