Dutch New Guinea


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

Dutch New Guinea:

see PapuaPapua
or Irian Jaya
, province (2014 est pop. 3,486,000), 123,180 sq mi (319,036 sq km), Indonesia. Comprising most of the western half of New Guinea and a number of offshore islands, it is Indonesia's largest province; the extreme western peninsulas are now separated
..... Click the link for more information.
, Indonesia.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Brigadier Thorpe described the recruitment of two Mormons who were sent to work behind the Japanese lines in the Vogelkop region of Dutch New Guinea, staying there three months.
Nakano agents undertook four main activities: training the natives in military activities; establishing spying operations; guerrilla operations; and establishing special agencies in Dutch New Guinea.
Australia also objected to Indonesia's incorporation of Dutch New Guinea and quietly supported a failed Western-backed rebellion against the central government.
An article in the newspaper archives diverted Zuckoff's attention about five years ago from another book project to a remote valley in what was then Dutch New Guinea populated by primitive, cannibalistic natives.
Report on the freshwater fishes collected by the British Ornithologists' Union expedition and the Wollaston expedition in Dutch New Guinea.
The story begins in May 1945, at an Army airfield in Hollandia, Dutch New Guinea, immediately after the war has ended in Europe.
Army Air Force C-47 crashed into the side of a steep mountain on the island of Dutch New Guinea, killing all but three of the 24 passengers and crewmembers aboard: Lt.
He was in the first group of troops that attacked Tanah Merah Bay, Dutch New Guinea, and he personally directed the front line units that seized Hollandia.
In 1951, she and her mother moved to Dutch New Guinea (now Irian Jaya).
The first part to be colonized was Dutch New Guinea, West Papua in 1828 (though this remained a mere legal claim for a long time) and the last the New Hebrides in 1906 as a French and English Condominium.