Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
East Sussex,county (1991 pop. 670,600), 693 sq mi (1,795 sq km), extreme SE England. It comprises five administrative districts: Eastbourne, Hastings, Lewes, Rother, and Wealden. Brighton and HoveBrighton and Hove,
city and unitary authority (1991 pop. 134,581) and district, SE England. It was formed by the merger of the boroughs of Brighton and Hove in 1997, and became a city in 2000.
..... Click the link for more information. , former districts in the county, now form a single, administratively separate city. The county, the seat of which is LewesLewes
, town (1991 pop. 14,499) and district, East Sussex, SE England. The county seat of East Sussex, Lewes is a farm market with light manufactures. St. Pancras priory was founded in the town in the 11th cent.; its ruins remain.
..... Click the link for more information. , borders the English Channel. The South Downs form a chalky ridge on the coast, marshes line the southeast, and in the north are the Weald ridges, which are forested and comprised of clay and sand. Produce is grown, and cattle are raised. There is some light industry, but the area is mainly oriented toward tourism and resort towns that service London. William I the conqueror fought the battle of Hastings there. The remains of 12th- and 13th-century castles, churches, and abbeys are found throughout the region. See also SussexSussex,
former county, SE England, since 1888 divided for administrative purposes into East Sussex and West Sussex. Lewes is the county seat of East Sussex; Chichester of West Sussex.
..... Click the link for more information. .
a county of SE England comprising part of the former county of Sussex: mainly undulating agricultural land, with the South Downs and seaside resorts in the south: Brighton and Hove became an independent unitary authority in 1997 but is part of the geographical and ceremonial county. Administrative centre: Lewes. Pop. (excluding Brighton and Hove): 496 100 (2003 est.). Area (excluding Brighton and Hove): 1795 sq. km (693 sq. miles)