Taylor(redirected from Effie J)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Taylor,city (1990 pop. 70,811), Wayne co., SE Mich., a suburb of DetroitDetroit
, city (1990 pop. 1,027,974), seat of Wayne co., SE Mich., on the Detroit River and between lakes St. Clair and Erie; inc. as a city 1815. Michigan's largest city and the tenth largest in the nation, Detroit is a major Great Lakes shipping and rail center.
..... Click the link for more information. adjacent to DearbornDearborn,
city (1990 pop. 89,286), Wayne co., SE Mich., on the River Rouge, adjoining Detroit; settled 1795, consolidated with the city of Fordson in 1928, inc. as a city 1929.
..... Click the link for more information. ; founded 1847 as a township, inc. as a city 1968. A small rural village until World War II, it developed significantly in the second half of the 20th cent. Manufactures include adhesives, building materials, furniture, sheet metal, motor vehicle parts, and motorcycles.
1. A(lan) J(ohn) P(ercivale). 1906--90, British historian whose many works include The Origins of the Second World War (1961)
2. Brook. 1685--1731, English mathematician, who laid the foundations of differential calculus
3. Dame Elizabeth. born 1932, US film actress, born in England: films include National Velvet (1944), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958), Suddenly Last Summer (1959), and Butterfield 8 (1960) and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), for both of which she won Oscars
4. Frederick Winslow. 1856--1915, US engineer, who pioneered the use of time and motion studies to increase efficiency in industry
5. Jeremy. 1613--67, English cleric, best known for his devotional manuals Holy Living (1650) and Holy Dying (1651)
6. Zachary. 1784--1850, 12th president of the US (1849--50); hero of the Mexican War