ET(redirected from Etes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to Etes: diabetes, Etest, ETRE, Eres
(in Britain) Employment Training: a government scheme offering training in technological and business skills to unemployed people
ETAbbrev. for ephemeris time.
Bernd Gersdorf, U Bremen. An integration of functional and logic programming.
The country code for Ethiopia.
ET(1) See energy technology.
(2) (CDE Encyclopedia Toolkit) The Encyclopedia Toolkit (E.T.) lets you add your own definitions into the Windows version of CDE. This is not an interactive process. All the terms must be coded and stored in a text transaction file that E.T. merges into CDE. E.T. re-indexes the database, and a new set of files is created for distribution to your server. To keep your version up-to-date, this process must be repeated when you get the next release of CDE.
The Virtual Hypertext Bonus
Every term you add is automatically hypertexted to all our terms and your terms. If you use a technical word to describe something, the definition of that word can be retrieved instantly by clicking it as long as it is defined either by us or by you.
SUMMARY OF PROCEDURE
1. Create an ASCII text file (.TXT file) with your definitions using our coding system.
2. Run E.T. on a Windows 7 machine "ONLY!"
3. Copy updated files to your server.
DETAILS OF PROCEDURE
1. Copy E.T. (et.exe) into an work folder of your choice.
2. Create your definitions .TXT file (see SAMPLE DEFINITIONS below) and copy it into the same work folder as et.exe. Do not prefix your .TXT file names with "CDE;" for example, "CDEterms.txt" is not valid.
3. Run E.T. and select FILE/ESTABLISH NEW DATABASE. You will be prompted for the location of the folder where the unmodified encyclopedia is installed.
E.T. will copy CDE.EXE, CDE.ABC, CDE.TXT and INTRO.BMP from that folder into the E.T. work folder. CDE.ABC and CDE.TXT are renamed CURRENT.ABC and CURRENT.TXT.
4. Select FILE/UPDATE and Add the .TXT files.
5. Click PROCESS.
6. To test your changes from the work folder, select FILE/TEST UPDATED ENCYCLOPEDIA.
7. Copy the following updated files from your work folder to your CDE application folder in the server.
SAMPLE DEFINITION CODING
Following are four transactions, one each for adding, deleting, replacing and extending a definition.
+ new term To add a term, put a plus sign on a line by itself, the term name on the next line, then the text. You can have up to 64K of text in each entry. In this transaction, all the text in this paragraph would be entered under the term "new term." - AFIPS The minus sign deletes an existing definition, but you can put text here for internal comments. = BASIC in ROM This transaction replaces this text with the existing definition for "BASIC in ROM." & AS/400 This text is appended to AS/400. A message is also inserted by the Toolkit to indicate this is a user-extended entry.
BOLD, ITALIC, SUBSCRIPT AND SUPERSCRIPT
You may use standard HTML start and stop tags for bold, italic, subscript and superscript: <b> </b> <i> </i> <sub> </sub> <sup> </sup>.
CDE supports a paragraph header, which is always centered and looks like this:
Centered Paragraph Header
To display a centered paragraph header like the one above, use an <h> code (there is *no* end tag):
<h>Code Headers Like This
IMAGES IN YOUR DEFINITIONS
CDE supports GIFs and JPEGs, as well as WMFs (Windows Metafiles). The following example shows how to code a picture (there are *no* end tags). Be sure to copy new images to the CDE pictures subfolder in the server.
<picture>frabbit.gif <title><b>Our Latest Frabbit</b> <caption>Our company makes the best frabbits in the industry.