Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city in Kostroma Oblast, RSFSR, on the shore of Lake Galich. Junction of rail lines to Bui, Kirov, and Kostroma. Population, 19,000 (1970). Galich has a power shovel factory and a metal products plant, tanneries, a flax mill, a furniture factory, footwear and clothing factories, and a food-processing industry, including a meat combine and a butter and cheese factory. There are logging and timber distribution establishments, as well as a sovkhoz-technicum, teachers college, museum of local lore, and folk theater. Near the city there are lumber camps.
The city was first mentioned in a chronicle in 1238 as Galich Mer’skii. In the 13th century it was the center of the Principality of Galich, whose first prince was Aleksandr Nevskii’s brother Konstantin Iaroslavich. Early in the second half of the 14th century the city was annexed to the Principality of Moscow. Galich became a district center of Kostroma Province in 1788.
(1) A city (until 1940 an urban-type settlement) and administrative center of Galich Raion, Ivano-Frankovsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Situated on the right bank of the Dnestr River, 26 km north of Ivano-Frankovsk. Railroad staion on the Ivano-Frankovsk-L’vov line; highway junction.
Galich was founded in the 14th century, at the end of which it was seized by Polish feudal lords. In 1772 it passed to Austrian rule, and in 1919 it was returned to Poland. Since 1939, Galich has been a city in the Ukrainian SSR. It has the following industries: vegetable-drying, cheese-making, building-materials, reinforced-concrete, and brick-making. The Rozhdestvo Church, which dates from the end of the 14th or beginning of the 15th century, was restored in 1825.
(2) Old Russian city (today near the village of Krylos) 5 km north of present-day Galich.
The first mention of Galich appears in the Hypatian Chronicle in 1140. In 1144 it became the capital of the Galich Principality, and in 1199 under Prince Roman it became the capital of the Galich-Volynia Principality. In 1241, Galich was ravaged by the Tatars and it fell into decay. Surviving are the Panteleimon Church (built before 1200, white stone with carved details, reconstructed in the 17th century), parts of the walls of the white-stone Uspenskii Cathedral (1157), and remnants of the city ramparts and moats. Excavations in 1939-41, 1951-52, and 1955 have established that Galich came into being in the tenth century and greatly expanded in the 12th. Dwellings, handicraft shops, and ten white-stone temples of the 12th and 13th centuries have been discovered.
REFERENCESTikhomirov, M. N. Drevnerusskie goroda, 2nd ed. Moscow, 1956.
Istoriia ukraiïns’kogo mystetstva, vol 1. Kiev, 1966. Pages 188-221.