Gelderland

(redirected from Gelderlaand)
Also found in: Dictionary.

Gelderland,

 

Guelderland

(both: gĕl`dərlənd), or

Guelders

(gĕl`dərz), province (1994 pop. 1,851,400), c.1,940 sq mi (5,000 sq km), E central Netherlands. It borders on Germany in the east. ArnhemArnhem
, Ger. Arnheim, city (1994 pop. 133,670), capital of Gelderland prov., E Netherlands, a port on the Lower Rhine. It is an industrial, transportation, and tourist center. Textiles, electrical equipment, metal goods, and ships are manufactured.
..... Click the link for more information.
, the capital, as well as NijmegenNijmegen
, city (1994 pop. 147,018), Gelderland prov., E Netherlands, on the Waal River, near the German border. It is a rail and water transportation point and an industrial center. Its manufactures include metal products, paper, clothing, and soap.
..... Click the link for more information.
 and ApeldoornApeldoorn
, city (1994 pop. 149,449), Gelderland prov., central Netherlands. It has a variety of manufactures, including paper. The city is a transportation center and attracts many tourists.
..... Click the link for more information.
 are the chief cities. Largely an agricultural region, it is drained by the IJssel River and by the Lower Rhine and Waal rivers, which enclose the Betuwe, a fertile agricultural lowland in the southwest. The Veluwe, west of the IJssel, is an uncultivated, hilly heathland that is popular as a resort area. The region is also used as a military headquarters. The duchy of Gelderland was conquered (1473) by Charles the Bold of Burgundy, after whose death (1477) it regained its independence. It passed to the House of Hapsburg in 1543 and joined (1579) the Union of Utrecht of the Netherlands against Spain. Part of Gelderland, including Geldern, the ducal capital, was ceded (1715) by the Netherlands to Prussia.

Gelderland

, Guelderland
a province of the E Netherlands: formerly a duchy, belonging successively to several different European powers. Capital: Arnhem. Pop.: 1 960 000 (2003 est.). Area: 5014 sq. km (1955 sq. miles)