Born Apr. 20, 1889, in Silistra; died there Oct. 15, 1953. Bulgarian architect.
Ovcharov graduated from the Technische Hochschule in Munich in 1911. He primarily designed large administrative and public buildings, incorporating some aspects of functionalism with a simplified, orderly system based on a trend that combined modern techniques with classical architectural principles. Among the buildings he designed were the Workers’ Hospital (1934–37) and the Ministry of Internal Affairs (1935–39) in Sofia and the Municipal People’s Council in Burgas (1939–42). The mausoleum of G. Dimitrov in Sofia (1949, with R. Ribarov) is noted for its stark simplicity and monumentality.