Georgii Eliakov

Eliakov, Georgii Borisovich


Born Sept. 13, 1929, in Kostroma. Soviet chemist and biochemist; corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (1970). Member of the CPSU since 1965.

Eliakov graduated from the department of chemistry of Moscow State University in 1952. From 1955 to 1959 he worked in Moscow. Since 1959 he has been in Vladivostok, where in 1962 he organized and headed the Chemical Laboratory of Natural Physiologically Active Compounds of the Far Eastern Branch of the Siberian Division of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Since 1964 he has been the director of the Institute of Biologically Active Substances. His major work has been the synthesis of triterpenoid glycosides, triterpenoids, sterols, and glycosides from the roots of ginseng and other plants of the family Araliaceae. He has been awarded the Order of the Badge of Honor and medals.