Popov, Georgii Mikhailovich
Born Sept. 15, 1906, in Moscow; died there Jan. 14, 1968. Soviet party figure and statesman. Member of the CPSU from 1926. Son of an office worker.
Popov studied at the Tambov Electrical Engineering School in 1921–22 and was graduated from the Industrial Academy in 1938. Popov was involved in Komsomol activities in Tambov Province in 1919–20 and in Kazan from 1925 to 1928. He worked at the Moscow Central Institute of Labor from 1928 to 1938. Employed in the apparatus of the Central Committee of the ACP (Bolshevik) from 1938, he was second secretary of the Moscow city committee of the ACP(B) from 1938 to 1945 and chairman of the executive committee of the Moscow soviet from
1944 to 1950. From 1945 to 1949 he served as first secretary of the Moscow oblast and city committees of the ACP(B) and secretary of the Central Committee of the ACP(B).
In 1950–51, Popov was minister of urban construction and then minister of agricultural machine building of the USSR. He was director of plants in Kuibyshev and Vladimir from 1951 to 1953 and from 1959 to 1965 and ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary of the USSR to the Polish People’s Republic in 1953–54. Popov was a delegate to the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Party Congresses, at which he was elected a candidate member of the Central Committee. He was a deputy to the second convocation of the Supreme Soviet and a member of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR from 1946 to 1950. He received a special pension from 1965. Popov was awarded three Orders of Lenin, the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, and various medals.