Georgii Vladimirovich Zaborskii
Zaborskii, Georgii Vladimirovich
Born Oct. 29 (Nov. 11), 1909, in Minsk. Soviet architect. Honored Builder of the Byelorussian SSR (1961).
Zaborskii studied under S. S. Serafimov at the Academy of Arts in Leningrad from 1933 to 1939 and began working in Byelorussia in 1940. He drew the plan for the reconstruction of Lenin Square (1947-60, in collaboration with L. P. Matskevich) and plans for the construction of public buildings and apartment houses. His projects have included the headquarters of the Central Committee of the Komsomol of Byelorussia (1952-53), the building complex of the pedagogical institute (1952-59), and apartment houses on Lenin Street (1952-56), as well as the Young Pioneer Movie Theater and the Puppet Theater (both built in 1964). In 1954, in collaboration with V. A. Korol’, Zaborskii designed the obelisk in Minsk commemorating the soldiers of the Soviet Army and the partisans who died in the Great Patriotic War. In the 1960’s, Zaborskii directed the construction of several sovkhozes and kolkhozes in Byelorussia. He received the State Prize of the USSR in 1971 for the planning and construction of the settlement of Vertelishki in Grodno Raion, Grodno Oblast. In 1970 he became the head architect of the Byelorussian State Institute for the Design and Construction of Agricultural Buildings. From 1950 to 1964, Zaborskii taught at the Byelorussian Polytechnical Institute.