Burgenland(redirected from German West Hungary)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Burgenland(bo͝or`gənlänt), province (1991 pop. 270,880), 1,530 sq mi (3,963 sq km), E Austria. The capital is EisenstadtEisenstadt
, town (1991 pop. 10,102), capital of Burgenland, E Austria, at the foot of the Leitha Mts. It has orchards and vineyards and manufactures textiles and ski equipment.
..... Click the link for more information. . It is a narrow, hilly region bordering Slovakia in the northeast and Hungary in the east, and it is indented by Neusiedler Lake. It is primarily agricultural, but industry and tourism are being developed. A borderland battleground for nearly 1,000 years, Burgenland has many castles, fortified churches, and walled villages. It is the newest of the Austrian provinces; its territory was transferred from Hungary by the treaties of Saint-Germain (1919) and Trianon (1920). SopronSopron
, Ger. Ödenburg, city (1991 est. pop. 55,140), NW Hungary, near the Austrian border. It is a tourism and commercial center with fruit-preserving, sugar-refining, and cotton textile industries.
..... Click the link for more information. , the region's leading town, was returned (1921) to Hungary after a plebiscite.
a province in eastern Austria in the basin of the Raab River. Area, 3, 900 sq km; population, 271, 000 (1961). The administrative center is the city of Eisenstadt.
Burgenland is an agrarian and industrial region. Agriculture includes diversified farming (cereals, sugar beets, and other crops), viticulture, horticulture, and intensive live-stock raising. Industry is developing; from 1946 through 1966 the number of people employed in industry increased by a factor of more than 2.5 (from 17, 000 to 43, 200), amounting to about 40 percent of the working population of Burgenland. In addition to the old industries—textile, garment, and food—the chemical and metalworking industries are de-veloping. There is mining of antimony in Stadtschlaining and lignite in Tauchen.