Gift of the Waters Pageant

Gift of the Waters Pageant

First full weekend in August
The tract of land now known as Hot Springs State Park in Thermopolis, Wyoming, originally belonged to the Shoshone and Arapaho Indians. They sold it to the United States in 1886, receiving about $60,000 worth of cattle and food supplies in return. Within the boundaries of the land were several hot mineral springs known for their healing powers. In 1889 the Wyoming State Legislature established the site as a park, stating that one-quarter of the water from the main spring—known as Big Spring, the largest hot mineral spring in the world—was to be set aside for public use. There has been a free bathhouse there since 1902.
The highlight of the event known as the Gift of the Waters Pageant is the reenactment of the signing of the treaty deeding the mineral springs to the people of Wyoming. The role of Washakie, chief of the Shoshones, was originally played by Chief Washakie's son, and later by his great-grandson.
CONTACTS:
Thermopolis Chamber of Commerce
220 Park St.
P.O. Box 768
Thermopolis, WY 82443
877-864-3192 or 307-864-3192; fax: 307-864-3128
www.thermopolis.com
SOURCES:
GdUSFest-1984, p. 217