Born Jan. 2, 1891, in Pistoia. Italian architect.
Michelucci, who studied in Florence, was a professor at the University of Florence from 1932 to 1948. He has been a professor at the University of Bologna since 1948. In 1946 he became the director of the magazine La Nuova Citta. An adherent of rationalism in the 1930’s, 1940’s, and 1950’s, he strove for the organic unity of new structures with much older buildings (central station in Florence, 1930–36, in collaboration with N. Baroni and others; commodity exchange in Pistoia, 1949–50). Beginning in the early 1960’s he used complex compositional schemes to achieve sculptural expressiveness and heightened emotional power in his architecture.
REFERENCESKatsnel’son, R. A. “Ot ratsionalizma k krainostiam organicheskoi arkhitektury (Dzhovanni Mikeluchchi).” In Arkhitektura Zapada, book 1. Moscow, 1972.
Cerasi, M. M. Michelucci. Rome, 1968.