Givi Dimitrievich Dzhavakhishvili
Dzhavakhishvili, Givi Dimitrievich
Born Sept. 5 (18), 1912, in Tbilisi. Soviet state and party figure, became a member of the CPSU in 1940. The son of a physician.
In 1934, Dzhavakhishvili graduated from the Transcauca-sian Industrial Institute (today the Georgian Polytechnical Institute). A geological engineer, he was in charge of hydro-geological parties from 1934 to 1941. From 1942 to 1944 he was chief of a department of Gosplan (State Planning Commission of the Council of People’s Commissars of the Georgian SSR). In 1944 he began to work in the apparatus of the Central Committee of the Georgian Communist Party: he was a deputy department head, an assistant secretary of the Central Committee, and a department head. In 1952-53 he was chairman of the executive committee of the Tbilisi city soviet. In April 1953 he became vice-chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Georgian SSR, and in September 1953 he became chairman of that body. He is a member of the Council of Ministers of the USSR. Since 1953 he has been a member of the Bureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Georgia. He was a delegate to the Twentieth through Twenty-fourth Congresses of the CPSU; at the Twentieth, Twenty-second, Twenty-third, and Twenty-fourth Congresses he was elected to the Central Committee of the CPSU. Dzhavakhishvili was a deputy to the fourth through the ninth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. He has been awarded the Order of Lenin, two other orders, and a number of medals.