Also found in: Wikipedia.
a town, the administrative center of Gorokhovets Raion, Vladimir Oblast, RSFSR. A landing on the Kliaz’ma River. Located on the Moscow-Gorky highway, 11 km north of the Gorokhovets railroad station. Enterprises include a shipyard and a hoisting and transport equipment plant.
Gorokhovets is mentioned for the first time in a chronicle under the year 1239. From 1787 it was the chief town of a district of Vladimir Province. It contains notable survivals of 17th-century architecture: stone churches with high open flights of stairs, facades culminating in keel shapes, pilasters at corners, and intricate window frames (for instance, in the Sretensk and Nikol’sk monasteries); the Blagoveshchenskii Cathedral (1700); and two-story stone houses (of Selin and of Shumilina), duplicating the composition of the Russian wooden mansion.
REFERENCESStoletov, A. V. Pamiatniki arkhitektury Vladimirskoi oblasti. Vladimir, 1958.
Tits, A. A. Po okrainnym zemliam vladimirskim. . . Moscow, 1969.