Goslar (gôs`lär), city (1994 pop. 46,190), Lower Saxony, central Germany, at the northern foot of the Harz Mts. Since its founding in the 10th cent. Goslar has been a mining center. Today, copper, lead, zinc, iron, and sulfur are mined. Manufactures of the city include textiles, clothing, and chemicals. Goslar was a favorite residence of many early German emperors and was the scene of several imperial diets. It long was a member of the Hanseatic League and was a free imperial city until 1802, when it passed to Prussia. Goslar was awarded to Hanover in 1815 but was regained by Prussia in 1866. The city has preserved much of its medieval character. The Zwinger, a round tower built in 1517, is a remnant of its old fortifications. The Kaiserpfalz, a large Romanesque palace, was built (mid-11th cent.) for Emperor Henry III. There are several Romanesque and Gothic churches, a Gothic city hall (15th cent.), and many half-timbered houses, including the noted Brusttuch (1526).