Gulfport


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Gulfport,

city (1990 pop. 40,775), seat of Harrison co., SE Miss., a port on Mississippi Sound, the Gulf of Mexico, in a resort area; inc. 1898. A port of entry, it receives large shipments of bananas. The city's diverse manufactures include ink and petroleum resins, steel, appliances, furniture, cleaning products, tungsten carbide, apparel, asphalt, metal products, transport tanks, boats, and barges. Gambling casinos and several military installations are in Gulfport. A number of antebellum homes remain, and the city has one of the longest artificial sand beaches (28 mi/45 km) in the world. De Soto National Forest is to the north; historic Ship Island, with its Civil War Fort Massachusetts, is 12 mi (19 km) out in the sound.

Gulfport was settled (1891) as the site for a railroad terminus. In 1902 its harbor was opened, and the city developed as an important lumber-shipping center. With the depletion of timber resources, Gulfport extended its shipping facilities and turned to manufacturing and a growing tourist trade. The city suffered severe damage, especially along the coast, from Hurricane Camille in 1969 and Katrina in 2005.

References in periodicals archive ?
30pm at the Gulfport Marriott at 1600 East Beach Boulevard, Gulfport, Mississippi 39501.
Rice and Gulfport plan to invest approximately $520 million to develop gathering and compression assets and $120 million for water assets within the JV over the next six years.
Sleep Inn Gulfport is a valuable addition for both leisure and business travelers looking to explore the various attractions of the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Attending the bride as maids of honor were Katherine McCabe Blount of Gulfport and Danielle Griffin Polen of Brandon.
Mark's in Southboro tomorrow and April 13 for services and to talk with parishioners and interested community members about the rebuilding effort in Gulfport.
Each member is flown to NCBC Gulfport for about two weeks to take care of their overseas screenings, receive all needed medical and dental readiness work, complete necessary legal paperwork, receive additional military training and receive the necessary uniforms and supplies required for their mission.
The focal point of the neighbor-to-neighbor effort was the Jefferson group's adopted sister congregation, Robinson Road Baptist Church in Gulfport.
container shipped to Cuba in four decades was dispatched from Gulfport where shipments to Cuba--including poultry, consumer food products and lumber--are "rapidly approaching 10% of our ship traffic," Allee said.
Lygia Williams, director of the Center for Behavioral Health at Memorial Hospital at Gulfport, said that depression does not discriminate.
NASDAQ: RODM) announced that it has acted as a co-manager to its client Gulfport Energy Corporation (Nasdaq:GPOR), who today announced that it has priced its previously-announced underwritten public offering of 5,000,000 shares of its common stock at a public offering price of $29.
Gulfport will possess 25% of the JV and Rice will own the remaining 75%.
has announced the sale of Gulfport Plaza, a 34,036 square-foot retail center located in Gulfport, Mississippi.