Gweru


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Gweru

(gwā`ro͞o), formerly

Gwelo

(gwā`lō), city (1992 pop. 128,037), central Zimbabwe. Founded in 1894, it is an industrial, mining, and commercial center. Manufactures include footwear, ferroalloys, metal goods, and cement.

Gweru

a city in central Zimbabwe. Pop.: 140 000 (2005 est.)
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
The fifth and sixth Meikles Mega Market branches have been opened in Mabvuku in Harare and Gweru in the first quarter of the 2016 financial year.
Amazingly, Mr Zanthe was home this week from Gweru Provincial Hospital.
Mining giant ENRC is also looking to capitalise on opportunities in Zimbabwe, having taken a 60% stake in the $250m Bokai project near Gweru, the other 40% of which is owned by the state Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC).
Other towns--Bulawayo, Chitungwiza, Mutare, Gweru, Kwekwe, Masvingo, Marondera.
Let's go for elections under international supervision and see who will carry the day," Tsvangirai told thousands of supporters in the central town of Gweru on Sunday, where he gave a speech to mark the MDC's ninth anniversary.
Much of the violence has erupted in traditional ruling party strongholds that voted for the opposition in the election, including the rural areas of Murewa, Mutoko, Gweru, he said.
Attitudes of teachers towards children with moderate mental retardation in ordinary primary schools in Gweru.
On 5th March, 27 more women were arrested as they marched in Gweru demanding social justice through the People's Charter, and nine more women were arrested when they attempted to bring food to their sisters in jail.
Postnatal maternal morbidity patterns in mothers delivering in Gweru city (Midlands Province).
See: Bourdillon, M F C, The Shona Peoples, Mambo Press, Gweru, 1976, p 21; and Garlake, P S, Great Zimbabwe, Thames and Hudson, London, 1973, pp 7-14.
Last to be brought out was his colleague, Piper Christopher Muzvuru, 20, from Gweru, Zimbabwe, who was single and joined up in February 2001.