Blagoveshchensk(redirected from Hailanpao)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Blagoveshchensk(bləgəvyĕsh`chĭnsk), city (1989 pop. 206,000), capital of Amur region, Russian Far East, at the confluence of the Amur and Zeya rivers. A river port and railroad hub on the Trans-Siberian RR, Blagoveshchensk is also an agricultural center and a supply point for the Zeya gold-mining basin. Near Svobodny, 104 mi (167 km) to the north, is the Vostochny Cosmodrome, est. 1996 at a former strategic missile base. The Russian government in 2007 chose the site for development of a facility that would reduce Russia's need to use the Baikonur CosmodromeBaikonur or Baykonur Cosmodrome
, formerly secret aerospace launch complex, Qyzylorda prov., S central Kazakhstan, near Baikonur (originally, 1958–95, Leninsk) but c.
..... Click the link for more information. , and the first rocket (carrying satellites into orbit) was launched there in 2016. Russian pioneers settled Blagoveshchensk in 1644, but the area was returned to China in 1689. The city became a Russian army post in 1856.
a city and center of Amur Oblast, RSFSR, located on the bank of the Amur, at its confluence with the Zeia River. Blagoveshchensk has a port, and it is the terminal on a branch of the Trans-Siberian Railway. Population, 128,000 (1970; 59,000 in 1939). Major industrial enterprises include the Amurskii Metallist Plant, producing equipment for the mining and gold-extraction industries; the Amurelektropribor Plant, producing electric appliances; another electric appliances plant; a machine-repair plant; a repair-operation base and a shipyard; a paper mill; and furniture, garment, and match factories. It is also a center for processing agricultural raw materials, with a vodka distillery, vegetable oil mill, flour mill, and meat combine. There are institutes of agriculture, pedagogy, and medicine; the general technical department of the Khabarovsk Polytechnical Institute; and 12 specialized secondary schools.
Blagoveshchensk has a drama theater, a puppet theater, and a museum of local lore. The city was founded in 1856 as the Ust’-Zeia military post and was reorganized into a city in 1858. Blagoveshchensk has broad, straight, tree-lined streets. The center of the city is being rebuilt, and blocks of new houses are under construction northwest of the city.
a town and center of Blagoveshchensk Raion, Bashkir ASSR. It has a landing on the right bank of the Belaia River (tributary of the Kama), 48 km north of Ufa. Blagoveshchensk is crossed by the Ufa-Birsk-Ianaul motor highway. Population, 14,000 (1967). The town grew up around a small copper works begun in 1756, which was converted to iron casting and metal processing in the 19th century. There is also a fittings plant and a wire and nail factory. Blagoveshchensk has a pedagogical school.