Huangpu

(redirected from Huang-p'u)

Huangpu

(hwäng`po͞o`) or

Whampoa

(hwäm`pō`ä`), city, S Guangdong prov., SE China, on an island in the Pearl River. It is c.9 mi (14.5 km) SE of Guangzhou, of which it is an outer port; it has been enlarged and modernized since 1952 and now accommodates large oceangoing vessels. An important industrial city, Huangpu is economically a part of Guangzhou. The Huangpu (Whampoa) Military Academy, founded there in 1924 as a Kuomintang training center, was organized by Chiang Kai-shek. Several of its officers, notably Zhou Enlai, later became leaders of the Chinese Communist army.

Huangpu,

 

Whangpoo,

or

Hwangpoo

(all: hwäng`po͞o`), river, 60 mi (97 km) long, rising in the lake district of Shanghai Municipality, E China, and flowing NE past Shanghai into the Chang estuary at Wusong. It is a major navigational route. Its dredged channel, lined with wharves, warehouses, and industrial plants, provides access to Shanghai for oceangoing vessels. The river is also a major water source for Shanghai, and as the city has grown it has suffered from water shortages and polluted drinking water; in 1996 a project to divert water from the Chang River (Yangtze) to the Huangpu was completed.