Born June 5, 1902, in Bielitz, Silesia (now Bielsko-Biała, Polish People’s Republic). Austrian writer and translator. Member of the Communist Party of Austria since 1921.
Huppert studied the social and political sciences in Vienna and Paris from 1921 to 1926. From 1928 to 1945 he lived in the USSR, where he studied at the Institute of the Red Professors in Moscow from 1933 to 1935 and worked at the Marx-Engels-Lenin Institute from 1928 to 1932.
Huppert’s first published literary work was a collection of newspaper articles and sketches entitled The Siberian Detachment (1934). His lyrical poetry, for example, in the collections The Homeland (1940) and The Georgian Staff (1954), is remarkable for the freshness of its language, its expression of concern for public affairs, and its clarity of thought. Huppert has translated works by Sh. Rustaveli, V. V. Mayakovsky, A. T. Tvardovskii, and K. M. Simonov. He writes on literature and theater for the progressive press of Austria and the German Democratic Republic (GDR).
Huppert was awarded the Heinrich Heine Prize by the GDR in 1964 and the National Prize of the GDR in 1967. He was awarded the Order of the Badge of Honor by the USSR in 1967 for his translations of Soviet literature.
WORKS“Lenin in der Lyrik.” Die Weltbühne, 1970, no. 15.
Gedichte. Berlin, 1971.
In Russian translation:
“Brigada dvadtsat’ pervogo ianvaria.” [Poems.] Inostrannaia literatura, 1960, no. 6.
“Slovo rovesnika veka.” Literaturnaia gazeta, Sept. 14, 1977.
REFERENCESChistova, B. “Vse, chto ia sdelal, vse eto vashe.” Voprosy literatury, 1960, no. 6.
Krest’ianinov, R. “Chelovek dlia chelovechestva.” Sovetskaia kul’tura, June 23, 1970.
Keisch, H. “Ein Literat.” Die Weltbühne, 1964, no. 24.
Christoph, T. “Hupperts Lyrik—’zugungsten des Ja.’” Die Weltbühne, 1968, no. 49.
G. V. IAKUSHEVA