Hungry Horse Dam


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Hungry Horse Dam,

564 ft (172 m) high and 2,115 ft (645 m) long, NW Mont. on the southern fork of the Flathead River. A major unit in the development program for the Columbia River basin, it was built (1948–53) to provide hydroelectric power, flood control, and irrigation. Hungry Horse Reservoir, formed by the dam, extends c.35 mi (55 km) upstream.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
The Bureau of Reclamation announces the opening of the Hungry Horse Dam Visitor Center for the 2017 summer season beginning May 26.
Exhibits about the history of Hungry Horse Dam and its importance to the Federal Columbia River Power System are featured.
CFAC opened in 1955 as the primary customer of hydroelectricity produced at Hungry Horse Dam, just up the Flathead River.
The Hungry Horse Dam in Montana has a curved single arch design made of concrete.
The Hungry Horse Dam is an arch-shaped concrete dam.
Recreation sites such as the Hungry Horse Dam, Libby Dam, Fort Peck Dam, Lewis & Clark Caverns, and the Bison Range all experienced increased visitation.
These repairs are essential so that the switchgear at Hungry Horse Dam maintains its reliability for years to come in serving the area extending from the Continental Divide westward to the Pacific Ocean.
5 million contract by the Bureau of Reclamation to replace the switchgear at Hungry Horse Dam.
Contract Awarded for Replace the switchgear at Hungry Horse Dam
At the time of its completion in 1953, Hungry Horse Dam was the third-largest dam, and second-highest concrete dam, in the world.
Contract Awarded to Perform turbine repair for Grand Coulee and Hungry Horse dams.
These repairs at Grand Coulee and Hungry Horse dams are essential to maintaining the turbines at these hydropower facilities