a Stone Age site, located 45 km southwest of the city of Krasnodar. It was excavated in 1925–28 by S. N. Zamiat-nin, in 1936–37 by V. A. Gorodtsov, and in the 1960’s by N. D. Praslov. It dates from the Mousterian period of the Paleolithic. The finds consisted of stone triangular points, scrapers, bifaces, disk-shaped cores, and numerous remains of animals hunted by primitive man: the bones of aurochs (about 60 percent of all the bone remains), mammoths, wild horses, and cave bears, among others. The excavations by N. D. Praslov yielded evidence of several cultural layers dating from various stages of the Mousterian.
REFERENCESEfimenko, P. P. Pervobytnoe obschchestvo, 3rd ed. Kiev, 1953.
Beregovaia, N. A. Paleoliticheskie mestonakhozhdeniia SSSR. Moscow-Leningrad, 1960.