Also found in: Wikipedia.
the Polish name of Livonia (Livland). Almost all of Livonia was under the rule of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth from 1561 to 1629. By the truce of Altmark in 1629, the greater part of Livonia passed to Sweden, and the territory that continued to be known as Inflanty was confined to the eastern part of modern Latvia; after 1677 the territory was called the Principality of Inflanty. The principality was annexed by Russia in 1772.