Ingrid Christensen Coast


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Ingrid Christensen Coast

 

part of the seaboard of the Princess Elizabeth Land, between 72° and 81° E long. (Eastern Antarctica). The antarctic oasis Vestfald is situated in the central part. The Australian scientific station Davis was active there during 1957–64. The coast was discovered by a joint Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand expedition in 1930—31. K. Mikkelsen, captain of a ship in the Norwegian antarctic expedition of 1935, named the coast in honor of the wife of L. Christensen, the owner of the Torshavn. This expedition carried out a more precise survey of the coast. The first Soviet antarctic expedition investigated the area in 1956.