a city (since 1956) in Kiev Oblast, Ukrainian SSR; located on the Irpen’ River (tributary of the Dnieper), 27 km west of Kiev. It has a railroad station. Population, 25, 300(1970). It is the site of a combine producing wall materials and construction plastics and has plants for machine building (peat-extracting machines) and wood products. It also has a furniture factory and a factory manufacturing leather goods and haberdashery. An industrial technicum and an agricultural bookkeeping technicum are located in Irpen’.
a river in Zhitomir and Kiev oblasts, Ukrainian SSR; it empties from the right into the Kiev Reservoir on the Dnieper. Length, 162 km. Basin area, 3,340 sq km. It rises on the northwestern edge of the Dnieper Upland and flows through lowlying regions. It is fed primarily by snow and is regulated by locks along its entire course. The city of Irpen’ is on the Irpen’ River. In the years 1947–51 a drainage and irrigation system was constructed, permitting the marshy floodlands of the river to be turned into the main region supplying the city of Kiev with potatoes and vegetables.