a monastery in Novgorod, founded no later than 1119 and built south of the city, on the left bank of the Volkhov River; it now lies within city limits. A number of scholars consider that Iur’ev Monastery was begun during the reign of Iaroslav the Wise. By the late 15th century it was the wealthiest Russian monastery. After the annexation of Novgorod to Moscow, most of the monastery’s property was confiscated. At the time of its secularization in 1764 it owned more than 4,500 peasants.
The monastery’s most notable structure is St. George’s Cathedral, begun in 1119 by the master Petr. A majestic six-columned, three-domed structure of elongated proportions, it has remains of some 12th-century interior frescoes. The other buildings of the monastery date from the 19th century.