a city and the administrative center of Iur’evets Raion, Ivanovo Oblast, RSFSR. Port on the right bank of the Volga (Gorky Reservoir). Located 58 km southeast of the Kineshma railroad station and 159 km northeast of Ivanovo. Population, 20,000 (1974). Iur’evets has had a factory for the hackling and spinning of flax since 1871; the city’s other factories include a wood-products combine, a fish-processing plant, a butter factory, a brewery, and a cannery. Also located in Iur’evets are an agricultural technicum, a museum of local lore, and a museum devoted to the Vesnin brothers (architects) who were born in the city.
an urban-type settlement in Vladimir Oblast, RSFSR, under the jurisdiction of the Lenin raion soviet of the city of Vladimir. Iur’evets is served by a railroad station on the Vladimir-Moscow line. The Vladimir Plant for the Impregnation and Production of Support Parts is located in the settlement, which also has an asphalt-concrete plant and a broiler (poultry) farm. Two medical institutions are located in Iur’evets: a children’s sanatorium and the All-Union Scientific Research Institute of Foot-and-Mouth Disease.