the remains of a fortified settlement of Chinese deserters in the land of the Huns dating from the second-first century B.C. to the first century A.D. The site is located near the Ivolga River, 16 km southwest of the city of Ulan-Ude, Buriat ASSR. Its fortifications consisted of four rows of low banks, with ditches behind the banks. Investigations in 1927, 1928, and 1949–62 revealed dozens of semisubterranean packed-clay dwellings. The inhabitants were engaged in stock-raising, farming, and handicrafts production. In the first century A.D. , the settlement was destroyed by fire, apparently caused by a raid of the Dinlin, the northern neighbors of the Huns.
REFERENCESDavydova, A.V. “Ivolginskoe gorodishche.” In the collection Sovetskaia arkheologiia [vol.] 25. Moscow, 1956.
Davydova, A.V. , and V.P. Shilov. “K voprosu o zemledelii u gunnov.” Vestnik drevnei istorii, 1953, no. 2.