Jamestown National Historic Site


Also found in: Acronyms.

Jamestown National Historic Site

Address:c/o Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities
204 W Franklin St
Richmond, VA 23220

Phone:757-229-1733
Fax:757-229-4273
Web: www.apva.org/jr.html
Size: 22.5 acres.
Established: Designated on December 18, 1940. Owned and administered by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. The remainder of the Jamestown site and island are part of Colonial National Historical Park (see separate entry).
Location:On the western end of Jamestown Island, Virginia, 7 miles from Colonial Williamsburg, off the Colonial Parkway.
Activities:Visitor tours of the Old Towne; exploration of the New Towne; and driving and exploration of the island on the three- or five-mile wilderness loop drive. Interpretive signs and paintings along the way discuss some of the early industries attempted by the English.
Special Features:Part of this site of the first permanent English settlement in North America (1607) is on the upper end of Jamestown Island, scene of the first representative legislative government on this continent, July 30, 1619.

See other parks in Virginia.