Jules Hardouin Mansart

(redirected from Jules Hardouin-Mansart)
Also found in: Wikipedia.

Mansart, Jules Hardouin

 

(born Hardouin; also Hardouin-Mansart). Born Apr. 16, 1646, in Paris; died May 11, 1708, in Marly, near Versailles. French architect.

Mansart was the grandnephew and student of F. Mansart and became a member of the Academy of Architecture in 1675. Beginning in 1678 at Versailles he built the southern wing (1678–81) and the northern wing (1684–89) of the Palais Royal, reconstructed its park facade, and, with C. Le Brun, created a number of interiors, including the magnificent Hall of Mirrors (1678–84), which is 73 meters long, and the Halls of Peace and War. Mansart also built the Grand Trianon (1687), the Clagny Castle (1676–83), and many others.

Among Mansart’s most important works were the planning and construction of the Place Vendome (1685–1701), the Place des Victoires (1685–86), and the Dome des Invalides (1680–1706) in Paris. In the creative work of Mansart, French architecture of the absolutist epoch reached its highest point of development. Combining the severe forms of classicism with the spacious scope of the baroque and relying on the large-scale grand style, Mansart added a majestic and triumphant character to his works.

REFERENCE

Bourget, P., andG. Cattani. Jules Hardouin-Mansart. Paris, 1960. (Contains a bibliography. Pages 173–77.)
References in periodicals archive ?
When I first met Mr Garcia, almost 30 years ago, he had recently embarked on the restoration and furnishing of the piano nobile of a majestic stone mansion near the Place des Vosges that was the second property he bought in the Marais--the Hotel Mansart de Sagonne, built between 1667 and 1670 by Jules Hardouin-Mansart, Louis XIV's chief architect, for his own family.
Originally planned as a royal square to commemorate the king's victories and accommodate a massive equestrian statue of the king by the sculptor Francois Girardon, it was reconceived at the end of the seventeenth century, to be built by private investors according to the design of the superintendent of royal building, Jules Hardouin-Mansart and subsequent royal architects (most notably Robert de Cotte), as a residential square in the tradition of the Place des Vosges.