(full name, S. M. Kirov Kazakh University), founded in Alma-Ata in 1934. The university has (1972 data) departments of mechanics and mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, geography, law, history, philosophy, philology, and journalism; two departments for the advanced training of teachers in higher schools; six evening and correspondence departments; and a graduate school. Courses are conducted in Kazakh and Russian. The university also has 77 subdepartments, 12 research laboratories, a linear accelerator, and a library with 850, 000 holdings.
In the 1971–72 academic year, more than 10, 000 students were enrolled at the university, and there were some 1,000 instructors and research workers, including 55 professors and doctors of sciences and 370 docents and candidates of sciences. The university publishes Uchenye zapiski (since 1938) and has trained more than 23, 000 specialists since its foundation. It was awarded the order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1971.
U. A. DZHOLDASBEKOV