Kleve


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Kleve

(klēv), Cleve or Eng. Cleves, city (1994 pop. 44,780), North Rhine–Westphalia, W Germany, near the Dutch border. Tourism is important in the city, and its manufactures include foodstuffs, clothing, and chemical products. It is a rail junction and popular resort. Among its noteworthy buildings are the collegiate church (14th–15th cent.), which contains the tombs of the dukes of Kleve, and the 11th-century Schwanenburg [Ger.,=swans' castle], which is associated with the legend of Lohengrin. Kleve was the capital of the former Duchy of ClevesCleves, duchy of,
former state, W Germany, on both sides of the lower Rhine, bordering on the Netherlands. Cleves was the capital. A county from late Carolingian times, it acquired (late 14th cent.) the county of Mark, in Westphalia, and in 1417 was made a duchy.
..... Click the link for more information.
.

Kleve

 

or Cleve, a historical region along the lower Rhine (mostly in the Federal Republic of Germany, in North Rhine-Westphalia).

Kleve was originally a county of the Holy Roman Empire. In 1368 it was combined with the county of Mark, and in 1417 it became a duchy. In 1511 (1521?) the duke of Kleve added the duchies of Jülich and Berg to his possessions. A struggle between the German princes for Jülich-Kleve flared up after the end of the Kleve line in 1609. This struggle resulted in the transfer in 1614 (conclusively, in 1666) of Kleve and a number of other territories to Brandenburg. The Kleve territory was held by France from 1795 to 1805. By a decision of the Congress of Vienna of 1814–15, Kleve passed to Prussia (and partly to the Netherlands).

References in periodicals archive ?
Due to its proximity to the port of Rotterdam, the location in Kleve is our gateway to Europe," says Tripp Amdur, Medline's international group president.
Long-running title disputes over the car broke out between the Kleve and Swaters families, which Bonhams is glad to have been able to assist in resolving.
On Sunday, the jazz band, consisting of students from all three high schools in Kleve, teamed with the Fitchburg High School band to play at the Senior Center.
Kleve pointed to the diocese's food pantries and nutrition programs, where the number of elderly requesting food parcels has risen from 80 to 85 percent since the year began.
A work of strange beauty, David Thorpe's installation The Defeated Life Restored, 2007, was co-commissioned by three institutions: Kunsthaus Glarus and the work's successive venues, the Camden Arts Centre, London, and Museum Kurhaus Kleve, Germany.
BZ I am intrigued with the direction your art has taken since the publication of your book--and especially with the paintings in your current show in Kleve, Germany.
Quantron GmbH, located in Kleve, Germany, develops, manufactures and distributes advanced arc/spark optical emission spectroscopy (OES) systems for numerous metals analysis applications.
Karlsruhe and Kleve, Germany, 9/8/06--Bruker AXS GmbH, a Bruker BioSciences company, has acquired Quantron GmbH, a developer and manufacturer of arc/spark optical emission spectroscopy (OES) for metal analysis applications, for $5.
For the production and filling operations, Unilever joined forces with Clever Stolz to build a new plant in Kleve on the Lower Rhine.
Six international contributors: (1) Australia (Kaye Stacey); (2) Brazil (Marcelo Borba); (3) Israel (Ruhama Even); (4) Norway (Bodil Kleve and Barbara Jaworski); (5) Taiwan (Fou-Lai Lin); and (6) USA (Helen Doerr) respond by making two claims (one related to an area where progress in research has been made and the other related to dilemmas facing researchers): (1) preparing teachers; (2) teaching practice; (3) research designs and methodologies.
KARLSRUHE and KLEVE, Germany -- Bruker AXS GmbH today announces that it has acquired all of the equity of privately-held Quantron GmbH from Quantron's founders.
Wong recently returned from a trip to Kleve, Germany, continuing a relationship that started after a Kleve-based company, Spectro Analytical Instruments, opened a branch in Fitchburg in the 1980s.