Also found in: Wikipedia.
Kutná Hora(ko͝ot`nä hô`rä), Ger. Kuttenberg, city (1991 pop. 24,561), central Czech Republic, in Bohemia. Now an agricultural center, it was an important silver-mining center in the Middle Ages. A national monument, it is a tourist draw and a market for the surrounding farm products. Its famous mint largely created the power and greatness of the medieval kings of Bohemia. In 1421–24, Kutná Hora was captured by the Hussites, recaptured by Emperor Sigismund, and captured again and burned by John Zizka. Until then a stronghold of Catholicism, it became for two centuries the center of Bohemian Protestantism. The city suffered again in the Thirty Years War (1618–48) and lost its importance after the silver mines closed in the 17th cent. Kutná Hora is rich in medieval architecture; the Church of St. Barbara (14th cent.) is a splendid example of Bohemian Gothic, and the Gothic Cathedral of St. James (14th cent.) has a tower 266 ft (81 m) high. The "Italian Court," begun in the 13th cent., is a palace once used both as a mint and as a residence of the kings of Bohemia.
a city in Czechoslovakia, in the Czech Socialist Republic, Central Bohemia Region. Population, 18,300 (1971). The city has food-processing, textile, and machine-building enterprises.
During the Middle Ages, Kutná Hora was a silver-mining region, and as such it had Europe-wide importance. The sole royal mint was established in Kutná Hora in 1300, in connection with the monetary reform of King Václav II. During the early period of the Hussite revolutionary movement the city became a center of the reactionary, feudal Catholic camp. In January 1422, Hussite troops led by Jan Žižka routed participants in the Second Crusade near Kutná Hora (they were later smashed completely at Německý Brod, present-day Havlvckův Brod) against insurgent Bohemia.
Architectural landmarks in Kutná Hora include Gothic buildings distinguished by the richness of their decor, such as the Cathedrals of St. Barbara (1388–1547; architects P. Parléř, B. Rejt, and M. Rejsek) and St. James (14th century), the Italian Court complex (including the city hall, the royal palace, and the mint; 14th-15th centuries), and the municipal fountain and the Stone House (both dating from the 15th century), as well as baroque buildings, such as the Jesuit College (17th century) and the Churches of St. Bartholomew (17th century) and St. Jan Nepomuk (18th century). Modern housing construction is under way. There is a city museum with collections of decorative and applied art.