Leningrad Institute of Precision Mechanics and Optics

Leningrad Institute of Precision Mechanics and Optics

 

an institute founded in 1930.

The institute trains specialists in the field of optical instruments. As of 1973 it consisted of departments for constructing optical-mechanical instruments and for constructing opticalelectronic instruments. There is also a department for precision mechanics and computer technology, as well as evening study and advanced training in skills for instructors. The institute has a preparatory division, a graduate school, 29 subdepartments, and four special-problems and seven branch laboratories. The library has about 600,000 books. During the 1972–73 academic year about 6,000 students were being trained by more than 400 instructors, including 35 professors and doctors of sciences and 180 docents and candidates of science. The institute offers doctor’s and candidate’s degrees. In 1958 it began to publish the journal Priborostroenie (Instrument-Making), of the series Izvestiia vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii (Journal of Institutions of Higher Learning). Since it has been in existence, the institute has trained more than 15,000 engineers.

B. K. MOKIN

Encyclopedia browser ?
Full browser ?