Lüneburg(redirected from Leuphana)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Lüneburg(lü`nəbo͝orkh), city (1994 pop. 63,300), Lower Saxony, N Germany, on the Ilmenau River. It is a rail junction and river port. There are large saltworks and chemical and textile industries in the city, as well as trade in foodstuffs, metal, and coal. Its hot salt springs and mud baths have long been frequented. Dating from the 10th cent., Lüneburg was long the capital of the dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg (see HanoverHanover
, Ger. Hannover, former independent kingdom and former province of Germany; Lower Saxony, NW Germany. Very irregular in outline, Hanover stretched from the Dutch border and the North Sea in the northwest to the Harz Mts. in the southeast.
..... Click the link for more information. , former independent kingdom). It was an important member of the Hanseatic League. Predominately built in the late-Gothic and Renaissance styles, the city has several fine churches, a large city hall (begun 13th cent., additions as late as the 18th cent.), and many gabled houses in the characteristic north German style. The Lüneburger Heide (lü`nəbo͝orgər hī`də), a vast heath, SW of Lüneburg, lies between the Elbe and Aller rivers. It is a sandy region; sheep are raised and petroleum is produced. Parts of the heath are game preserves.
city in the Federal Republic of Germany, in the Land of Niedersachsen. It is located in the Liineburg barrens, 35 km southeast of the city of Hamburg on the navigable II-menau River. Population, 59,500 (1971).
Lüneburg is a transportation junction, with metalworking and woodworking, chemical and textile industries, the production of cement, and beer brewing. The city has a pedagogical institute and an academy of administrative economics. The first mention of the city dates from the tenth century; municipal rights were granted in 1247. Liineburg was a member of the Hanseatic League. There are salt mines near the city, which in the Middle Ages supplied salt to northern Europe.