the ruins of an early medieval castle on the right bank of the Don River, near the village of Divnogor’e, Ostrogozhsk Raion, Voronezh Oblast. It was investigated from 1906 to 1909. Rectangular in plan (100 × 80 m), the site is surrounded by a ditch and the remains of white stone walls made of hewn blocks. The remains of a settlement (20 hectares) are located next to the castle site, and a burial ground lies east of the site. The entire complex belongs to the Saltovo-Maiatskoe culture (eighth and ninth centuries). The inhabitants of the Maiatskoe Gorodishche were Alan-Bulgars and were part of the Khazar Kaghanate.
REFERENCESMiliutin, A. “Raskopki 1906 g. na Maiatskom gorodishche.” In Izvestiia Arkheologicheskoi komissii, fasc. 29. St. Petersburg, 1909.
Makarenko, N. E. “Arkheologicheskie issledovaniia 1907-1909 gg..” In Izvestiia Arkheologicheskoi komissii, fasc. 43. St. Petersburg, 1911.
Pletneva, S. A. Ot kochevii k gorodam. Moscow, 1967.