Margent | Article about Margent by The Free Dictionary
margin (redirected from Margent)
Also found in: Dictionary
1. Commerce the profit on a transaction
2. Economics the minimum return below which an enterprise becomes unprofitable
The boundary around a body of water.
The blank area at the vertical and horizontal edges of a printed page.
(science and technology)
An outside limit.
1. The exposed flat surface of the stiles and rails which form the framing around a panel.
The projecting surface above the stair nosings in a close string.
3. The mitered border around a hearth.
4. The exposed surface of a slate or tile which is not covered by the one above.
marginA blank row at the extreme top and bottom or a blank column at the extreme left and right sides of a sheet of paper or on-screen window. Margins are used for design purposes as well as to accommodate printers that cannot print to the very edge of the paper. See margin guide and gutter.
References in periodicals archive
Bunyan added in the margin across from these lines, "The margent
," in order to identify precisely what his "key" was.
and now by him at this seconde edition newlie perused and corrected, and also with divers notes in the margent
In Gray we have the same sense of hungry generations: 'Say, Father Thames, for thou hast seen / Full many a sprightly race / Disporting on thy margent