Marinette (mârĭnĕt`), city (1990 pop. 11,843), seat of Marinette co., NE Wis., on Green Bay at the mouth of the Menominee River; inc. 1887. A port of entry, it is the center of a tricity area embracing Peshtigo, Wis., and Menominee, Mich. Among the city's manufactures are consumer goods, auto parts, wood and paper products, and chemicals. Fur trading began there c.1795 and gave way to lumbering, which flourished until the 1930s. The city was named for a queen of the Menominee who established a trading post on the river and built the first frame house there.