The third, extending over the ownership of George Grenville, 1st Marquess of Buckingham (1753-1813), and his son, Richard Grenville, 1st Duke of Buckingham (1776-1839), was dominated by Sir John Soane (1753-1837) and for more than forty years the family loyally turned to him for advice.
It must have been Thomas Pitt who introduced Soane to the Marquess of Buckingham.
25) Soane was bitterly disappointed and had expected the support of the Marquess of Buckingham, but there was not a word despite the architect lobbying him with his proposals.
Following in the steps of his uncle, Earl Temple, it is clear that the Marquess of Buckingham sometimes played an active part in the design process and this is confirmed in Soane's ninth Lecture to the Royal Academy, delivered in 1815:
For this noble conception the lovers of architecture are indebted to the late Marquess of Buckingham, whose taste and skill in designing can only be equalled by the other distinguished talents which that noble encourager of the fine arts so pre-eminently possessed.
On Lord Temple's death the estates passed to his nephew 1st Marquess of Buckingham (George Grenville (1753-1813) created 1st Marquess of Buckingham 1784), followed in 1813 by direct descent to 1st Duke of Buckingham (Richard Grenville [1776-1839] 2nd Marquess of Buckingham raised to the Dukedom of Buckingham and Chandos in 1822).