Also found in: Wikipedia.
the name of the central and western parts of the coast of Mac-Robertson Land in eastern Antarctica. The coast is the edge of a continental ice cap whose surface rises steeply toward the interior, reaching 1, 000–1, 500 m at a distance of 50 km from the coast. There are numerous outcrops of bedrock. The coast was discovered by the British, Australian, and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition in 1930 and was named in honor of D. Mawson. The coast has been studied chiefly by Australian scientists; the Australian Mawson scientific station was established on the coast in 1954.