Mechanization of Agriculture, Institute for the

Mechanization of Agriculture, Institute for the

 

(full name, All-Union Scientific Research Institute for the Mechanization of Agriculture; VIM), located in Moscow; the institute was founded in 1930. As of 1973 it had 33 laboratories and the following departments: scientific organization; scientific methods; scientific-technical information, invention, and patent work; field testing of agricultural machinery; measurement; long-range system of machines for the integrated mechanization of plant growing; mechanization of fertilizer use; mechanization of grain harvesting; comprehensive measures and processes in the processing and storage of grain; mechanization of the all-around harvesting of green feeds; agricultural transport; long-term agricultural tractor energetics; and the operation of machine and tractor fleets.

The institute manages the Armavir Experimental Station (city of Armavir, Krasnodar Krai), the Kamenka Experimental Farm (Podol’sk Raion, Moscow Oblast), the Kotovsk Base (city of Kotovsk, Odessa Oblast), the Novotroitskii Base (village of lasnye Poliany in Troitsk Raion, Cheliabinsk Oblast), the Stavropol’ Base (city of Stavropol’), the Central Experimental Design Bureau (Moscow), and the Machine Building Plant of Experimental Designs (Moscow). VIM develops the theory of agricultural machines. It also works on new technological processes for the raising, harvesting, and postharvest processing of crops; systems of machines for integrated mechanization of agricultural production; and rational methods of using machine and tractor fleets. The institute has graduate study in residence and by correspondence. It publishes Trudy (since 1935).

G. T. PAVLOVSKII

Full browser ?