a Slavic town site at a village of the same name near the city of Hodonin in Czechoslovakia. Systematic excavations were first conducted in 1954 by J. Poulik. In the seventh and eighth centuries, Mikulčice was a small settlement surrounded by a wooden palisade. During the ninth century and in the early tenth, it was one of the largest centers of the Great Moravian state and was fortified by a mighty earthen bank with structures of stone and wood. There was a large merchants’ and artisans’ suburb near the fortress. Excavations yielded the remains of stone temples, a princely palace, wooden dwellings, and numerous burials, including those of the local nobles and their bodyguards. Gilded decorated spurs, belt buckles, metal bindings, and various ornaments were among the objects found in the burials.