Minsk Medical Institute

Minsk Medical Institute

 

dates from 1921, when a medical department was founded at the Byelorussian State University. In 1930 the department was reorganized as an independent institute. The Minsk Medical Institute (1974) includes departments of medicine, pediatrics, sanitation and hygiene, and stomatology, as well as a preparatory division, a graduate school, a clinical internship, 51 subdepartments, a central scientific research laboratory, two special-problems laboratories, a museum, and a library with more than 400,000 volumes.

In the 1973–74 academic year approximately 4,000 students were enrolled at the institute, and more than 400 instructors were employed there, including two academicians and two corresponding members of the Academy of Sciences of the Byelorussian SSR, two corresponding members of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR, 40 professors and doctors of science, and more than 250 docents and candidates of science. The Minsk Medical Institute has been granted the right to accept doctoral and candidate’s dissertations for defense. Since 1930 it has published Sbornik nauchnykh trudov (Collection of Scientific Works). The institute has trained approximately 17,000 physicians since it was founded. It was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1971.

A. A. KLIUCHAREV

Mentioned in ?