Jumel Mansion(redirected from Morris-Jumel Mansion)
Also found in: Wikipedia.
Jumel Mansion(jo͞omĕl`, zho͞o–), historic house, New York City. The sturdy Georgian mansion was completed in 1766 by Roger Morris, one of the city's wealthy merchants. In the American Revolution it served as headquarters of George Washington and Sir Henry Clinton, American and British commanders in chief. After the war it was used as a tavern. It was purchased (1810) by a rich wine merchant, Stephen Jumel (d. 1832), for his wife, Eliza Brown Jumel (1775–1865). After Jumel's death she married (1833) Aaron Burr, wrangled with him over family finances, and procured (1834) a divorce. When she died, the mansion passed to members of her family. In 1903 it was purchased by the city. By 1945 it was completely restored and opened to the public under the auspices of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
See W. H. Shelton, The Jumel Mansion (1916).