Moscow Machine Tool Institute

Moscow Machine Tool Institute

 

one of the leading Soviet higher educational institutions for machine building. It was founded in 1930 on the basis of the department of machine building of the F. Ia. Kagan-Shabshai State Electrical Machine-building Institute, which was organized in 1920.

As of 1973, the Moscow Machine Tool Institute had departments of machine tools, technology, automation of punch-press production, and instrument-making; an evening department; and a department for advanced training of teachers at higher educational institutions. It also had a preparatory division, a graduate school, 26 subdepartments, a training and experimental plant, interinstitution foreign-language laboratories, and a methodology laboratory of physics. The library contains more than 500, 000 volumes. During the 1972–73 academic year more than 4, 000 students were studying at the institute, and there were about 400 instructors and researchers, including 28 professors and doctors of sciences and 170 lecturers and candidates of sciences. The institute confers doctoral and candidate’s degrees. Particular attention is devoted to the special training of scientific personnel for remote regions of the country. Collections of scientific articles are published. Between 1930 and 1972 the institute trained more than 13, 000 specialists.

V. A. ARSHINOV

References in periodicals archive ?
He was educated at the Moscow Machine Tool Institute and cut his teeth in China's machine tool industry.

Encyclopedia browser ?
Full browser ?