Moscow Printing Institute

Moscow Printing Institute

 

a leading Soviet educational and scientific center for publishing, printing, and the book trade. The institute was formed in 1930 from the Higher Art and Technical Institute (Vkhutein). The Moscow Correspondence Printing Institute was incorporated into the Moscow Printing Institute in 1960, and the Institute for Advanced Training of Cultural Workers was added in 1962.

As of 1973, the institute had departments of printing technology, mechanics and machine building, industrial economics, layout, book science and book trade organization, editing, and advanced training of workers in publishing, printing, and the book trade. It also had evening, correspondence, and preparatory divisions; a branch in Leningrad; a graduate school; 32 subdepartments; three sectorial laboratories; and a computer center. The library has about 800, 000 volumes.

In the 1972–73 academic year, the institute had an enrollment of 7, 000 students, and the teaching staff numbered about 400, including 28 professors and doctors of sciences and more than 200 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute confers doctoral and candidate’s degrees. It has published Nauchnye trudy (Scientific Transactions) since 1948. Since its founding, the institute has trained more than 20, 000 specialists.

N. N. POLIANSKII

Full browser ?