a large Soviet international port on the northwestern coast of the Sea of Japan between Capes Astaf’ev and Shifner on Nakhodka Bay.
The first projects of the port were developed before 1934, but construction was interrupted by the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45. It was resumed in the second half of 1944. The first phase of construction, consisting of 12 shipping berths, was completed in 1958. Construction of timber export facilities was then begun on Cape Astaf’ev and completed by 1970. The port is specially equipped to handle both general and bulk cargoes, including timber, for international and coastal shipping. Freighters bound for the Chukot Peninsula, the Okhotsk seacoast, Kamchatka, and foreign destinations such as Japan, Southeast Asia, and Australia depart from Nakhodka Seaport.
Located on Chadaudzha Bay, near Nakhodka Seaport, is the largest petroleum transshipment point in the Far East; here tankers take on petroleum products for export and for delivery to various points in the Soviet Far East. Containerized shipments intended for rail transit between Europe and Japan via the Soviet Union are handled through a specially equipped berth. The port has extensive frontage, dozens of covered warehouses, a large inventory of transshipping machinery, various office and industrial buildings, an auxiliary service fleet, and a passenger terminal. The seaport is part of the Far East Maritime Shipping Line. The merchant fleet receives material and technical supplies, fuel, oil, provisions, and water there, and ship-repair facilities are available. Nakhodka Seaport was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1966.
V. V. PONIATOVSKII