Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Narva(när`və), city (1994 pop. 79,094), NE Estonia, on the left bank of the Narva River. A leading textile center, it also has machinery plants, sawmills, flax and jute factories, and food-processing industries. The city is also an important producer of electric power. Founded by the Danes in 1223, Narva passed to the Livonian Knights in 1346 and was a member of the Hanseatic League. In 1492, Ivan III of Russia built the fortress Ivangorod on the right bank of the NarvaNarva,
river, c.50 mi (80 km) long, rising in Lake Peipus (Chudskoye), E Estonia, and flowing northeast past the city of Narva into the Gulf of Finland. It forms the border between Estonia and Russia. The falls of the river supply power to the fibers industry of Narva.
..... Click the link for more information. , facing the Hermann fortress of the knights. After the dissolution (1561) of the Livonian Order, the city was first seized by the Russians, then taken (1581) by the Swedes; it continued to be contested by the two nations. In 1700, Charles XII of Sweden, with inferior forces, resoundingly defeated Peter I of Russia at Narva in the first great battle of the Northern War (1700–1721). Peter, however, captured the city in 1704, and it remained part of Russia until 1919, when it was incorporated into newly independent Estonia. Estonia was forcibly incorporated into the USSR from 1940 to 1991; German forces occupied the city in World War II. The city is dominated by two old fortresses, and it has retained a 14th-century Eastern Orthodox cathedral (originally Roman Catholic), and a 17th-century town hall and exchange buildings.
Narva,river, c.50 mi (80 km) long, rising in Lake Peipus (Chudskoye), E Estonia, and flowing northeast past the city of NarvaNarva
, city (1994 pop. 79,094), NE Estonia, on the left bank of the Narva River. A leading textile center, it also has machinery plants, sawmills, flax and jute factories, and food-processing industries. The city is also an important producer of electric power.
..... Click the link for more information. into the Gulf of Finland. It forms the border between Estonia and Russia. The falls of the river supply power to the fibers industry of Narva. After Estonia was forcibly incorporated into the USSR (1940), all Estonian territory E of the river was transferred (1945) to the Russian SFSR (now Russia); Estonia regards the transfer as an illegal annexation.
a city under the administrative jurisdiction of the Estonian SSR. Located on the left bank of the Narva River 14 km from its mouth, opposite the city of Ivangorod. Railroad station on the Leningrad-Tallinn line 210 km east of Tallinn. Population, 66,000 (1973; 20,000 in 1939).
Narva is first mentioned under the year 1171 in the Novgorod Chronicle. In the early 13th century it was known as the village of Narvia. From 1220 to 1346, Narva belonged to Denmark, and then until 1558 to the Livonian Order. During the Livonian War of 1558–83 it was taken by Russian troops (May 11, 1558), and in 1581 it was captured by Sweden. At the start of the Northern War of 1700–21 the Russian Army laid siege to Narva; but on November 19 the Russians were defeated in the battle of Narva of 1700 by the Swedish forces. On Aug. 9, 1704, Russian troops took Narva. After the establishment of fortresses at Kronstadt and Sveaborg, Narva lost its strategic importance. From 1704 to 1722 it was a district and later a provincial city of St. Petersburg Province. By the mid-19th century it was a major center of the textile industry.
During the Revolution of 1905–07 the Narva committee of the RSDLP was formed. From 1912 to 1914 the newspaper Kiir (The Ray) was published by the Estonian Bolshevik organization. Soviet power was established in the city on Oct. 25 (Nov. 7), 1917. In February 1918 detachments of the Red Army halted the advance of the kaiser’s troops outside Narva. The city was occupied from Mar. 4 to Nov. 28, 1918. On November 29 the Estonian Soviet Republic was proclaimed in Narva. In January 1919 the city became part of bourgeois Estonia. On July 21, 1940, Narva became a city in the Estonian SSR, which entered the USSR on Aug. 6, 1940. From Aug. 17, 1941, to July 25, 1944, Narva was occupied by fascist German troops, who destroyed the city. During the postwar five-year plans Narva was fully reconstructed and modernized.
Among the architectural remains are the Narva Castle (13th to 15th centuries), with the tower known as Long Hermann (1535); fragments of the city’s fortifications from the 14th century; the city hall (now the V. Kingissepp Palace of Pioneers; in baroque style, 1668–71, architect, J. Teuffel); residential houses of the 17th century; and the stone and earthen bastions of the city fortifications from the second half of the 17th century. Residential houses are under construction on Pushkin, Rakvere, and Anvelt streets and on the Tallinn highway. Among noteworthy modern public buildings are the 50th Anniversary of Great October Palace of Culture (1967) and the Palace of Culture of Power Engineers (1974), both built according to standardized designs.
The main branches of industry in the city are power engineering, textiles, and the production of building materials. Machine building is well developed. Narva has one of the largest cotton enterprises of the USSR, the Kreenholm Manufactory. Near the city there are the Baltic State Regional Electric Power Plant and the Estonian State Regional Electric Power Plant, both using local shale deposits. There are plants producing reinforced-con-crete products, a building-materials combine, a mechanized foundry, and woodworking and food-processing enterprises. There is a secondary specialized polytechnic and a historical museum.
REFERENCESPetrov, A. V. Gorod Narva. St. Petersburg, 1901.
Kostochkin, V. Narva. Moscow, 1948.
Krivosheev, E. P., and K. G. Mikhailov. Narva: Pulevoditel’, 3rd ed. Tallinn, 1972.
(Narova), a river on the border between the Estonian SSR and Leningrad Oblast, RSFSR. Length, 77 km; basin area, 56,200 sq km. It rises from Lakes Chudskoe and Pskovskoe.
The Narva has rapids where it crosses Silurian limestone formations. It flows into the Gulf of Finland in the Baltic Sea. At its mouth the Rosson’ is linked with the Luga River in high water. It is fed mainly by melted snow. The average rate of flow is 415 cu m per sec. It is covered with ice for as much as 51/2a months. The Pliussa is a right tributary. The Narva Hydroelectric Power Plant and the Narva Reservoir are located on the river. The Narva is navigable below the power plant (for 14.9 km) and in the reservoir. The cities of Narva and Ivangorod are on the river.
a bay, part of the Gulf of Finland in the Baltic Sea. It extends 40 km inland. Width at entrance, approximately 90 km. Depth, more than 30 m. The eastern shore is low and sandy; the southern shore is mainly high and steep. It is covered with ice from December through March. The Narva River empties into the bay. Located near the mouth of the river is the Narva-Jóesuu health resort.